Five-a-day: what counts towards it?
Do you get your 5 fruit and veggies a day?
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- Beans and pulses. These count as only one portion, no matter how many you eat
- Frozen fruit and vegetables
- Tinned or canned fruit and vegetables (buy ones that come in natural juice or water, with no added sugar or salt)
- A 30g portion of dried fruit
- Fruit and vegetables in convenience foods, such as ready meals, shop-bought sauces, soups and desserts
- One glass of unsweetened 100% fruit or vegetable juice counts as a maximum of one portion a day
- A smoothie containing all of the edible pulped fruit and/or vegetable may count, depending on how it is made
- Sweet potatoes, parsnips, swedes and turnips
- Potatoes. When eaten as part of a meal, these are generally used in place of other forms of starch, such as bread, rice and pasta
- Yams, cassava and plantain
How do you get your five a day? Let us know in the comments below.